Monday, November 14, 2011

Prayer for Sick Children


I took Charleigh back to her pediatrician, today, because--after a full week of antibiotics--she seemed worse, if anything. The pediatrician confirmed: Charleigh still has the croup and an ear infection in her right ear. We came home with three new medications and our very own nebulizer.

I've been a parent for almost twelve years, but--until today--I'd never used a nebulizer. Given the fact that the nurse and I, together, could barely manage the first treatment for Charleigh's screaming and thrashing, I'm not gonna lie: I felt pretty intimidated at the thought of giving the second treatment alone. Thankfully, Charleigh and I found our groove with the help of the Barney "I Love You" song. And the third treatment went easily and sweetly with Jim's help.

Our red-headed wonder will be just fine, but, tonight, my heart feels heavy for the other sick children out there, and I'd like to offer a prayer. Please join me, if you feel led to do so.

Dear Heavenly Father:

I come to You, tonight, on behalf of the sick children...both born and unborn. I ask You to be with them in their discomfort and pain. I ask Your help for those with undiagnosed or misdiagnosed problems; those without sufficient clothing and housing; those without healthcare and medical care and parental care; those who suffer from serious illnesses for which there is no cure.

I ask, Father, Your strength for those who keep vigil over sick children: the loved ones who don't know You and don't know how to pray; the loved ones who do know You but wage war with fear, anyway; the doctors who examine, diagnose problems, perform surgery, and prescribe medications; and all the healthcare professionals who do their best to follow orders and bring comfort.

I pray, Father: please send helpers. And no matter when or where, please draw sick children and their loved ones close to You, because You are the source of all true comfort and peace.

No matter the season or circumstance, Father, You are good, and we praise You. Thank You for loving us so much that you sent Your Son Jesus to a place of sickness and sin to suffer and die on our behalf. And thank You for truly understanding all our grief and pain.

In Your name I pray, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment