Friday, November 25, 2011

Movie Review: Hugo 3D



A few years ago, I bought a book for my little cousin Daniel: The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick. Daniel spoke so highly of the book that I bought another copy for Cade, who's read it many times. I haven't read it, but--when I saw a trailer for Hugo--I recognized the movie as being based on the book I've seen Cade carry, off and on, over the past few years.

Cade and I went to see Hugo this evening, and I'm so glad we did. It's beautiful with its navy shadows and snow (think The Polar Express without animation); the actors fit their roles well; and--while the story moves slowly at points--in the end, everything comes together in a very satisfying way.

I love the messages of Hugo: everyone has a purpose, or (s)he wouldn't be here. Happiness comes from finding and fulfilling purpose. Love inspires purpose and keeps it alive. Finally, if a person is faithful and long-suffering regarding his or her purpose, the universe will send helpers and work alongside to insure success.

My favorite thing, by far, about my Hugo experience was sharing with Cade something he finds meaningful and learning why. I've been the child he was tonight, and I loved being on the parent end of things: taking time out to engage, encourage, and see something special through his eyes.

If you're looking for something to do this season, I recommend watching Hugo. I don't know how much the 3D contributed, really; I would've enjoyed, probably, as much without.

No comments:

Post a Comment