I love it when a random thought leads to deep thinking.
Tonight's random thought was: I never expected to shampoo doll heads in my bathtub. Then I thought: I never expected to shampoo doll heads and girl heads in my bathtub. Then: I never expected to shampoo doll heads and girl heads belonging to my daughters, as in plural, in my bathtub.
And it went on and on. I realized, with a start, that most everything about my life, these days, has been a surprise.
- I never thought I would become the mother of three children.
- I never thought I would bring two of my three children into the world while in my 30's (34 and 36).
- I never thought, at 37, I would spend time in prayer for a fourth child.
- I never thought I would become someone who shops yard sales and thrift stores with enthusiam, purchasing things like doll heads that need shampooing.
- I never thought I would buy, with very little exception, new items only on sale. I shopped Target toy clearance (for Christmas), today, in a Mister Rogers t-shirt and striped pajama capris. (The funny thing is: I'm not surprised by my choice of attire, and--if you really know me--you're not, either!)
- I never thought the subject of any teaching I might do would be, not English, but Jesus: that I would grow so comfortable in my faith as to speak and write openly about it.
I wake up in the morning and recognize my husband and children as gifts, to me, from God. Nothing much has turned out how I expected, but most everything has turned out better than I'd hoped.