Sunday, January 8, 2012

Permanent Mark


Jim and I had bought Cade the eight Harry Potter movies for Christmas and decided to watch the first movie with him, tonight. It seemed like a relaxing thing to do; I'd managed to spend some time with the girls in the back yard, earlier, and I was tired.

But there's a part of the movie, toward the end, that made me cry, and not just a little. It's the part where Dumbledore explains to Harry that--when his mother sacrificed herself for him--she left a permanent, protective mark of love in his skin.

I thought about my little baby. I know (s)he really is gone, now, because I underwent another ultrasound, yesterday: this time, with the gentle head of the department. She turned the screen toward me and traced--with her finger--what needed, yet, to leave my body. I could see with my own eyes: there's no longer a gestational sac, let alone a yolk sac.

Watching Harry Potter, tonight, I wondered: does my baby in heaven know of my refusal to take from God any opportunity to perform a miracle? It's been twenty-five days, now, since that first, unpromising ultrasound, and my physical ordeal continues.

I'd wondered several times, this week, if--knowing what I know, now--I'd do it all again the same. I've lost time to limbo. I've lost time in East Tennessee, with people I love. I'll carry certain unsettling images with me for the rest of my life.

But--watching Harry Potter, tonight--I realized: I did all the right things. Don't misunderstand: I don't think my choices better than anyone else's. I do think I was true to myself.

I'm trying to say: for the first time in my life, my body failed to do what I asked of it. But my spirit has done exactly what I've asked of it, and I've required more of my spirit than ever before. Each of the past twenty-five days has felt like a year, and I've groaned in my spirit. I've tossed and turned in my spirit, and I've bled and broken in more ways than one.

But I can go to sleep, tonight, and dream of my baby's bearing a permanent, protective mark of my love in his or her skin. My sacrifice can be neither undone nor stolen. And that's something just on the jagged edge of personal peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment