Sunday, January 29, 2012

Movie Review: Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close


Cade and I went to see Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, tonight, to celebrate his birthday. I must say: I'm thankful that movie wasn't the only thing I had up my sleeve.

Listen to what I'm saying to you: if you're in need of a good cry, get yourself to the theater to see Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close; however (Are you paying attention?)--if you're in any way sad or depressed--this movie will make you want to poke your eye out with a stick. If you're not in any way sad or depressed but have ever been sad or depressed in your entire life, this movie will take you back to that moment, and you'll want to poke your eye out with a stick.

Even if you want a good cry; are in no way sad or depressed; and have never been sad or depressed in your entire life, you may still want to poke your eye out with a stick while watching this movie. Because its unfurling of events will require big-time suspension of your disbelief.

I found the events unbelievable but the actors' emotions very believable. For both reasons (Need I say it again?), I wanted to poke my eye out with a stick.

Main themes of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? (Spoiler alert!)
  • Things don't always make sense.
  • To feel disappointment is better than to feel nothing.
  • The miracle for which you're hoping may turn out to belong to someone other than you.
  • The truth doesn't always set you free.
  • If you're lying or sneaking, your mama probably knows what the hound dog you're up to.
  • Most people are kind and helpful.

That's all you need to know. Now go: be kind to your eyeballs. See a different film.

No comments:

Post a Comment