Friday, July 19, 2013

Trickle-Down VBS

Too many stories and not enough time, but the one I want to share most involves Vacation Bible School.

 I spent hours trying to find a traditional VBS 1) that wouldn't conflict with family vacation, 2) to which I could drive within thirty minutes, and 3) that would accept three-year-olds. I found exactly two churches that met the criteria and e-mailed, asking each to slip Charleigh (who won't turn three until the end of summer) into its three-year-old class. I explained: she's been potty trained since January, she's extremely verbal, she was mature enough to perform ballet and tap routines in front of a large audience.

The first church turned me down flat, explaining that Charleigh would miss the age cut-off by two months and eleven days. The second, though, agreed to give her a try unless they had a large three-year-old group; would I be willing to wait until the last minute to find out?

It ended up working out, and the girls' teacher was named (I couldn't make this up if I tried!) Mrs. Angel!, but the story doesn't end there. Jim and I were able to make a quick trip to Baltimore, Sunday, and pick up my eight-year-old nephew Boone (who would've otherwise spent the week in a hotel room), and he was able to attend VBS.

Given that Cade was in Boy Scout camp, this week, I had fifteen hours during which only the baby was in my direct care. I was able to have my eyes examined ("Would you like to see the doctor, now?" the receptionist asked. "He had a last minute cancellation.") and shop for much-needed shoes and shorts. I was able to have breakfast with Becky and her chicks. Also, in keeping with the VBS lessons on serving others, I was able to reach out to a couple families who'd been on my heart.

***

Boone pulls a scrap of red paper from his pocket and hands it to me. It looks like a bead or scroll, as if it's been wrapped around a pencil. I unroll it and read aloud: "Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart."

"Do you know what the desire of my heart is, Boone?" I ask. He shakes his head.

"That your dad would be well," I tell him. "Do you think--if I delight in the Lord--He will make your dad well?" Our eyes meet for just an instant.

"Yep!" he says, and shoots me a little grin just before turning away.



5 comments:

  1. I adore seeing God's fingerprints all over someone's life. I'm so glad you shared it with ALL of us. I need to look for it more often. Thanks friend. ps. I'm glad you got to see Becky. I'm gonna have to plan that one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreeing with you about this God-given desire for your brother. What wonderful God gifts you received this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles...very cool...glad you found your VBS....made me smile at your interaction with boone...i hope that for him...perhaps he got just what he needed eh? smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Brandee, that last part made me cry in my coffee! I am praying for the desire of your heart with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, how i miss you. one of these days i'll be able to catch up on everything i've missed with you, but in the meantime, it's so good to have this small bit to carry with me.

    love you, my dear.

    ReplyDelete