Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Family Vacation 2013: Chicago Land, Pt. 1

When we pulled up, Erin and Mira were waiting outside their apartment building in Lombard. They ushered us inside and (along with Dave) filled our bellies with tacos and Garrett Popcorn: The Chicago Mix, which is caramel and cheese popcorn tossed together and was, for the record, my favorite thing I ate on vacation.



Everything was already perfect, because we were all together.

The next day was rainy, but I insisted that Erin and I have faith and head toward East Dundee with the little kids; Jim had already paid through Groupon for our admission to Santa's Village Azoosement Park. We stopped at Schaumburg's Prairie Center for the Arts on the way, because Don Lawler's and Meg White's "Awaking Muse" was high on my list of things to see in the area.

It was raining pretty hard as we pulled up, and I prayed out loud in the minivan: thanking God in advance for clearing up the rain for us. Not long after, the rain stopped entirely, and I give all credit and praise to the Lord. I have to say: in terms of the (many) things I sought out on vacation, nothing impressed me more than this sculpture, carved from Indiana limestone. The park in which it's located is beautiful, in general.









Someday, I will tell my Chippy that he spent a moment, once, in the hand of the muse...but his every moment--just every, single moment of his life--in the hand of God.







While we were at the park in Schaumburg, the one in East Dundee closed for rain. It was okay, though, because I was with my best friend, and I had a long list of things I hoped to see. All of them were outdoors, but the rain didn't bother us for the rest of the day.

***

Jim's and Brandee's Travel Tips

Have a back-up plan in case of bad weather, a good amount of faith, or both.

No comments:

Post a Comment