Wednesday, February 20, 2013

To the Readers of My Blog


As of yesterday, one hundred people have signed up to follow my blog through Google Friend Connect. I don't know very many of them in "real life." I learned, today: I don't know many of them even in the blogosphere.

The following thing is strange. Some people follow through Google Friend Connect. Some people follow through Networked Blogs. Some people follow through both. Some people follow through e-mail or possibly another means. Of those who follow, some read, and some don't.

Some people don't technically follow but do read. They click over from facebook, or perhaps they have my blog bookmarked and simply check in from time to time. Others hit upon a specific post through a search engine.

The point is: I rarely know who's actually reading unless (s)he comments. I've made a few friends in the blogosphere, but I'm not sure how many of the people who read my blog have blogs that I read. I'm thinking (based upon the time I spent visiting Google Friend Connect folks, today) that ("mutual") number is much smaller than I'd thought.

I haven't been shy about my main objective in blogging, which is to write things down for my kids. But the fact of the matter is: the interactive nature of blogging fuels my writing. I'm here because you're here.

If you're following through Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs and have a blog, I'll be coming around to visit. I made a point of visiting some of your blogs, today, and I felt sad and sorry for having never visited, before.

It was sobering to nose around and realize: some followers of my blog face tremendous challenges. I met a follower who has brain cancer. I met a follower with an injured back. I met a follower whose son has seizures. I met a follower whose daughter has Smith-Magenis Syndrome. I don't know which of these have actually been reading my words, but I felt compelled to pray for each of them, today, in addition to the follower who's about to be published and the one who writes in a language so foreign I couldn't even determine what it was.

And I'm going to be doing more of this. I'm certain the Lord wants this of me. It's lovely to be small because I can visit your blog. I can pray for you by name. And I will.

If you'd like me to visit your blog but are not following through Google Friend Connect or Networked Blogs, please follow...or at least say, "Hi." If you're a reader but not a blogger, please say, "Hi," especially if there's something I can pray for you. If you feel uncomfortable commenting, feel free to send an e-mail to normalgirl (at) hotmail (dot) com. Just put Smooth Stones in the subject line so I'm sure to see your e-mail. 

I don't know where my blog posts go when they're e-mailed, but--if you'd like to receive my words via e-mail (instead of coming to this site to read them)--you may sign up over on the right.

May God bless each of you. I pray you find something of worth in or through this space.

20 comments:

  1. ah, the blogosphere is such an interesting place, is it not?
    i have done a similar thing before, and it IS truly an experience to go nosing around and find what people are up to, what is going on in their lives, what we have in common, where we differ, what we are challenged by.
    you are a sweetheart, brandee, and i for one am always blessed by your words and insights.
    thanks for being an encouragement in my little part of this big world. :-)
    and if your prayers ever blow my way--i have two kiddos with learning challenges who are especially challenging this mama these days.
    thanks, and i'm praying for YOU this morning and all that your day holds.
    blessings,

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be praying specifically about this challenge, Steph. So thankful to have connected with you in the blogosphere.

      Delete
  2. I do love your heart, Brandee. What an amazing group of people connect via your words, and it's inspiring to see the way the Lord is leading you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your heart, too, Amy. Blessed to follow your blog.

      Delete
  3. I'm the mom whose son has seizures and I am so blessed by your prayers. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rose. I'm going to be checking in on and praying for your family; please keep me posted on Michael!

      Delete
  4. Was just stopping in to say "hi" today, actually, Brandee. Thankful I'm a part of this blogging world with you and for your heart that desires to reach out and truly make contact with those who follow you. The gift of prayer over your readers -- what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always glad when you come by, Ashley, and I'm blessed to follow your blog. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. *waves madly* ...well you "know" me...though the holy Spirit *grins* I love that you want to pray for other bloggers. Isn't God wonderful how He can "throw open the doors SO wide" now because of today's technology?

    Big Hugs,
    from New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you've prayed for me. I'm so happy to share the praises of answered prayers with you. I am so happy to have met you through the blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to have met you, too. Do you remember when you told me your real name? I was so blessed in that moment.

      Delete
  7. Hey honey! I am so glad that we got to know each other through blogs! You are a true sweetheart and I'm so glad to be able to call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my favorite person that I met before I almost met her but didn't meet her - lol

      Delete
  8. i don't even remember how we found each other, but i'm so glad we did. you're a blessing to me, miss brandee. i love your incredible heart, and the way you lift us each up in prayer.

    x&o.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're the one who blesses me. You're the real deal.

      Delete
  9. It is amazing that we can speak words into the blogosphere but have no idea where they're being heard. I'm hearing you now. And I appreciate your heart for wanting to connect with so many. May the Lord bless your gift of mercy.

    ReplyDelete