Friday, March 2, 2012

For My Man, Pt. 2

Dear Jimmy,

I know you love me when I can't sleep: when I flop side-to-side like a hooked Bluegill on the bank, shaking the bed with too much weight on my body and in my heart. I ask: "Do you want me to go?"

I know you love me because you always say: "No."

I lie beside you in the dark, praying prayers like playing scales: up and down, with speed. My mind races, and I cry beside you in the dark, fighting to put what's restless to rest.

I know you love me because you run your hand over my back and ask: "What can I do to make it better?" If it takes talking through to light, you'll do it.

All I ever wanted was for someone to talk to me in the dark...until you took to praying over me, in the dark. You pray into my hair and I know (really, really know): you love me.

Thank you.

Your Wife

Pleased to hold my marriage up to the light with Amber and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment