Thursday, March 15, 2012

Everybody's Fine


Funny story. A couple years ago, my dad and I decided to sneak out for a movie date. I'd seen a trailer for Everybody's Fine, which--in case you've never seen it--is about the relationships between a father (Robert De Niro) and his grown children. It seemed light and relatable...especially since De Niro looks so much like the men in my family.

Well, come to find out, nobody in that movie is fine. Dad and I were so depressed on the drive home that I think the only words we exchanged were: "Well. I feel like poking myself in the eye with a stick, now."

And: "Yeah."

Be cautious in trusting the word "fine," People. Now, you can rely more heavily on it in terms of appeal (i.e.: "That's man's fine as frog hair!") than in terms of general well-being. If you ask someone how (s)he's doing, and (s)he says: "Fine," be wary.

Unless that someone is me.

Because I'm telling you: everybody's fine, here. It feels like a miracle. I'm so excited about it and thankful for it. We're none of us in crisis mode. I can hardly force myself to type a word with so much spring in the air. Old Man Winter is a mere speck in my rear-view mirror. I'm headed to the lake. 

I think I might just pitch me a tent there, this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment