Saturday, August 23, 2014

Belated 7th Anniversary Post

Dear Jim,

You were cutting up ham and pineapple for our $5, cheese pizza from Food Lion...only it was a free pizza, as it turns out, because you'd worked your magic, again. We had some manner of tension between us after the big "band booster" meeting, and it was more of the same: how you get on my nerves with your penny-pinching even as I'm so thankful I've never not had gas money.

I squeezed between you and the pizza on the stove because it never fails: if we can bring ourselves to touch, the bad feelings evaporate, and I said, "If you weren't so good-looking, it would so be over, by now." I watched you laugh because that's your line, and I appreciated all over again how you're a whole head taller.

"What happened," I asked, moving to the other side of the bar, "to those days when I could just sort of shake my tail feather and get whatever I wanted?"

"Brandee," you said (and you were wearing your serious face), "what have you ever wanted that you didn't get, eventually?" And when I tried to think of something, I couldn't. Which means there's definitely an adopted baby in our future, Jim?

But seriously.

Thank you for taking such good care of us. I know it hasn't been easy what with my not working outside the home these past six years. I know you've wished a million times that you could just turn the bill-paying over, but you've known that--even if I did my very, very best--I wouldn't see all the ways to save money that you do. Just so you know: I think you're a genius. I think you put Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard to shame.

Thank you for providing everything we need and so much of what we want.

I'm satisfied, and those exact words ran through my mind, early yesterday morning, as I turned my back to your fur and heat and settled down to sleep. Your arm was flung above my head, and I reached out and caught your great hand with its curved fingers. I ran my index finger across your knuckles and down into the valleys between (and back).

And I thought to myself how it's been like that with us: up and down, up and down, up and down, up and down (and back). But maybe the important thing is: through it all, I've never wanted to leave. There's a whole world outside of the up n downs, but I've never been tempted by it. I just keep bumping along, and I guess you do, too. We just keep choosing one another all over again.

Seven years married.

I love you so much.

Brandee

Thank you, Chuck E. Cheese Machine.

6th Anniversary Post 
5th Anniversary Post

14 comments:

  1. Sweet. Congrats to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. Congratulations to you both!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful letter. Glad to know there are others successfully bumping along. Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! It's hard, isn't it? But worth it.

      Delete
  4. You two, have a 'love' story that just keeps going......I love to pray and be apart of your ups and downs here and there. You two really are good together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a prayer partner! What a gift to have one who's both far away and removed from every situation. I'm so grateful, and I love you so much!

      Delete
  5. Oh, yes.

    Happy for you and glad for the resonance with my own, a head-taller, always-makes-a-way gift from God. I, too, have heard that line; "What have you ever wanted that you didn't get, eventually?" Praise God, it makes me grateful.

    Glad for both of us. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to his retirement because, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, there will be a really good one. Airstream and wanderlust indulged, I'm thinking. I'm happy for both of us, too! I think our men would really like each other. I know I always say that, but!

      Delete
  6. happy anniversary...smiles...through the good times and the bad you know...i have eaten plenty of those pizzas...and worked my way into and out of many of those conversations....smiles...

    ReplyDelete