Monday, May 12, 2014

A Year and a Half

After hours of fresh air, I had drifted off to sleep on the sofa. You saw me there--my eyes closed, my cheek resting against the cool denim of the pillow--and climbed into my lap. You settled so gently (fell asleep so quickly) in my arms that I hardly knew you were there. You always seek a lap when you're tired.

Sometimes I look at you and remember my old baby doll Susie. I slept with her every night, too, and she always smelled a little like my breath and body. She stayed bald, though, and her stuffing fell out after her cotton wore thin.

I wonder if you'll be especially tender after so much loving. Your sisters seek you out when they're upset, and it's the sweetest thing in the world to look up and see one of them lying across your lap, your pudgy hand patting her head and back. You're always good for a squeeze, and more than once, you've changed the tide of my day with your drive-by kisses.

You love animals, balls, a good beat, books, water, steps (anything climbable). You scrape the skin off your noggin over and over. You have the best laugh and the heart of a great singer. You're mostly chill. You're still unweaned.

Happy eighteen months, Baby. I so love being your mama.


19 comments:

  1. HUGE SMILE!!! I love that she's the one everyone turns to! I know she'll remember that forever, even at 18 months old now!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a he, but people think girl all the time (even w/ the boy clothes) b/c he's so durn pretty.

      Delete
    2. I just wasn't paying attention! So sorry! (Please don't show him this post in 14 years! He'll hate me!)

      I try so hard to get pronouns right, it's important when you work with LGBTQ youth!

      Sorry again!
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Not at all. I referred to him only as "you," and I don't expect you to have my family memorized! I love your presence here.

      Delete
    4. Thank you, Brandee! I do so love your blog, you, your family!
      Jay

      Delete
  2. Hi Brandee,

    What a sweetie he seems to be. Doesn't it make you just want to snuggle them tight and kiss them? I was just kissing my big and little ones too!

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sweet Brandee and ode to your beautiful baby. A mother's love is so strong yet tender and that comes out so beautifully here. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's day...you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do declare, he looks like Clementine when she was a baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I also see Cade in him very often...and, every once in a great while, Charleigh. We're all in there :)

      Delete
  5. Enjoyed reading your post!

    It happened to visit your blog. I'm very much impressed and enjoyed reading your posts and pictures. I'm following your blog now to come back to your site again. I'm glad to invite you to visit my blog, leave your valuable comments and follow my blog at "Join this site"

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is such a sweetie, and a reminder to me how God answers prayers so beautifully. In many of your photos, he has an interesting, pensive expression I don't usually associate with one so small. It will be interesting to see how he grows. Hug him an extra time for me today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dear Christina, for helping to pray him here. xxoo

      Delete
  7. Hi Brandee! What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful boy. I especially liked the reference to his laugh and music beat. I bet he will be full of tenderness in response to your family's great love for him.
    Happy half birthday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  8. a beautiful tribute to a beautiful baby who is getting big! what a sweet, precious time this is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I've said this to you before, but you MUST print this out. MUST, MUST.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How sweet!

    Although most of my kids are now grown, I still get to enjoy moments like this with my grandchildren.


    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete