Jim's and my small group has been studying Romans for some time. This past week, we looked at Romans 11-12, and the end of Chapter 12 really stood out to me. More specifically, it ministered to me.
If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good (Romans 12:18-21, KJV).
I know I'm not alone in feeling at a loss, sometimes, regarding political and religious discussions. So often, I don't see issues as black and white. I can recognize good arguments on both sides. I don't believe that--just because someone doesn't agree with me--his or her profession of faith is insincere. (Hasn't every Christ follower been confused, misguided, or mistaken at one point or another?) I think very differently about certain things than I did ten or twenty years ago, and I'm not 100% sure when I was closer to the truth!
I'm comforted by the verses above because they remind me: God's got this. He's got this messy world with its complicated and opposing viewpoints. Vengeance is His. He calls me to live as peaceably as possible with others. My prayer for this week:
Father God, sometimes I feel exhausted by the bitter arguments of politics and religion. Help me to discern Your truth. Help me to know where to stand, and when, and how. Bless in the same respect those who read here. Draw us closer to Your heart; give us Your eyes. Grow us in patience toward one another, and help us to overcome evil with good. In Your Son's name I pray, amen.
Now it's your turn! Would you like to participate in an old-fashioned prayer meeting of the blogosphere? Here are some ideas:
- You can pray about my prayer request.
- You can share a prayer request by means of a comment.
- You can share a prayer request on your personal blog and direct me to your post by means of a comment.
- You can pray about a participant's prayer request.
- You can write a prayer about my, your, or someone else's prayer request (in comments hither or yon, on your blog, etc.). If your prayer is somewhere other than this place, please direct me as you can and will.
- You can join in praying my or someone else's prayer.
- You can share an update regarding a prayer request you've made here, in the past.
Thank you again for being here. It matters that you're here! I hope to see you next week, if not before.