Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Chip Turns 3



Dear Super Chip,

Happy third birthday. Over and over again, your sisters have been a sharp intake of my breath, but you have been my exhale. You are my everything-makes-sense and everything-is-okay-in-the-world. You are fairly predictable and almost always content.

You are my full circle. You are home to me. You remind me of my grandma, my mom, my brother, your brother Cade. You remind me of myself. (Finally, I have a child who pretend plays like I did. Fisher-Price Little People: hooray!)

You are my fellow night owl, and when I walk in the door from the restaurant, you always greet me with: "Mama! You came back! You always come back! I love you!" You still sleep best in my arms, and that's (mostly) okay. Thank you for waiting for me. I waited for you for so long. We belong to one another; I feel that every day, and

I love you. I loved your "Blue Birthday" party. I love your red sword. I love your laugh, your kisses. I love every one of your sweet teeth. I love it that you think we should trick-or-treat every night; I think so, too. I love it that, in the dark, no other story works for you but "Goldilocks and the Three Bears." I love it that you're nice to pretty much everyone but Cade's girlfriend. (I understand why you pull her hair. She's a nice girl, but her hair is straight out of "The Goose Girl"; Conrad would've tried to pull it, too.)

You're my very favorite super hero. I believe in every single one of your powers. You hold my heart in your hands.

Mama

5 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post, and your photography skills just get better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This went straight to my heart! So incredibly motherly beautiful in the best blue ways! Yes - I agree with Elizabeth - your photography just gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this letter and your sweet family. Happy bday Super Chip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Chip!!!

    I think you might be my favorite super hero, too!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetie. It's fun to hear your recollections.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete