Saturday, July 21, 2012

Belated 5th Anniversary Post

It's late, and I crawl in beside you, saying: "I need you." You know what I mean: that I want you to talk to me in the dark, that all I've ever wanted is someone to talk to me in the dark. You throw an arm over my side, snap my body toward yours, and break into song:

I need you tonight
Cause I'm not sleeping
There's something about you, Girl,
That makes me sweat

You crack yourself up. Laughing, you say: "You're rolling your eyes right now, aren't you?" And you kiss my left eyelid, in the pitch black, with a loud smack.

So many things to love about you: little things, big things, but sometimes I fail to see for high drama. It makes my head swim to think of what we've survived, these five years of marriage: jobs, joblessness, moves, pregnancies, gestational diabetes, miscarriage, labor and childbirth, parenting, surgeries, fleas, leaks, breaks. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't lived it, and we both know what's just ahead. 

My spirit has never been so tired, but I have your body for my bed, your heart for my home. I'm thankful. I've never before said to a man: "I want only you," and meant it; in that respect, you've saved me from myself. I'm thankful. You strive to provide for and delight me. I'm thankful.

I did; I do; I will: no matter what that means. Just keep coming home to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment